Thursday, September 17, 2009

Easy Being Green?

I enjoyed reading the Washington Post article “Going Green? Easy Doesn’t Do It” by Michael Maniates. I also definitely agreed with many of his points that how easy doing just not enough to preserve our planet. Whenever I do essay things such as recycling, taking a short shower or using an energy efficient light bulb intending to save the plant, I always asked myself am I really helping the environment or am I going to make any difference to the climate changes? Disappointingly I know that I would not matter much in a big picture of the environment. However, I do it anyway, because I just feel good about myself. I believe most of Americans are in my shoes. They just do it to feel good about themselves, and they only do easy effortless things. However, the whole picture of environment is bigger than what we think. People hope to help the environment by doing easy, fast, simple and stylish actions. These “simple solutions” for the environment are hardly enough to bring any changes, because there are no such a “simple solutions” for the environment. The environment is so damaged by so many people for such a long period; we need long tern collective solutions. None of the action we take today will appear as positive impact on the environment the very next day. “We need to be looking at fundamental change in our energy, transportation and agricultural systems rather than technological tweaking on the margins” (Maniates). These fundamental changes could take our time and money and be what politician and celebrities like to avoid talking about them. I am sure the politicians and celebrities do not want to risk their position and popularity by making any dramatic environmental statements. But I see them so comical that they just want to be appeared as if they care so much about it. I think the politicians and celebrities who have enormous advantage in media coverage or mobilization of people should stand in the front line of making really changes to save the planet. No one should think easy doing is enough doing.

No comments:

Post a Comment