Friday, September 4, 2009

Hello everyone,

My name is Jonathan Southgate and I am a junior in SIS. I am concentrating in International Communication and minoring in International Business. I was born in Boston, MA but grew up in Charleston, SC. I have always been interested in environmental issues, but have always found a problem with the way that environmentalists went about promoting their cause. I try do what I can to reduce waste and live more environmentally friendly. At the same time, I don't like the idea of the "carbon footprint". This idea that if I didn't buy a certain object would reduce my "footprint" is ridiculous. Whatever I was going to buy would have been made and transported regardless of whether I bought it or not. On top of that EVERYTHING we own and use at some point had an adverse effect on the environment.

I believe that a more effect way of fighting environmental change is to focus on our waste. Focus on using less and using better methods to dispose of what we have to use. Finding better ways to travel is key in my opinion. I believe that people should focus on waste management and transportation improvement. I am fascinated by this issue that I have little background knowledge in, so I am excited for this class.

In terms of the article that Stanley Fish wrote in the New York Times, I find it a bit strange. I don;t think it is the best strategy to scare people or to make people seem like they are destroying the planet personally. The human race in general is destroy the planet and people contribute to this only because they live in our society. We need to change the society (focusing on transportation, waste management, and energy production) of our Nation. I think its pointless to make people feel bad about the way they live, since it is the way they HAVE to live in this society. Changing the amount we consume and the car we drive is very useful steps, but paying twice as much for a new kitchen because of where the wood came from seems silly to me. In all the changes that happen, there probably was more environmental damage than not. I look forward to talking more about this in the near future and learning more.

Cheers,
Jonathan

No comments:

Post a Comment