Friday, October 2, 2009

Cost Effectiveness of Food Purchases

The things that impact my food choices are calories, efficiency to getting the food, taste, how long it will take to cook and cost. Normally when I go to a restaurant I have an idea of my favorite dishes at that restaurant, so I like to stick to those dishes. I guess I’m kinda boring. If I’m really hungry I’m more likely to go for a dish that takes less time. Taste and cost play a big part in what I choose to eat a restaurant as well. I love pizza but if it’s $12, I am less inclined to buy that over a cheaper sandwich for example.

The location of a super market also impacts my food choices. I purchase frequently at Whole Foods because it’s right next to the metro. I wouldn’t buy there as much as I do if it didn’t have the easiest location to get too. I also shop at Superfresh, Giant and Safeway. When I shop there, I am looking to buy food that will make easy dishes and that are tasty. The cost of food is a huge consideration for me because I am on a strict budget. I try to eat healthier but am not opposed to eating meals with higher fat content. The environmental impact that my food makes on the world is never a consideration of mine, when I shop for food. I have bought local produce before, but not very often. I support farmer’s market, but rarely have time to go to any.

I do not eat a lot of beef products, but I know that they have a large environmental impact on the world. I made a stir-fry last week with beef strips in it. You have to raise the cows, which cost a lot of money since you have to buy antibiotics and food to make the cows big. The cows produce methane. The cows have to be slaughtered, cleaned and shipped off to a super market. Depending where the cow is located from, the carbon foot will be bigger, because it can easily be from California or the Midwest.


-Tracey

No comments:

Post a Comment