Friday, October 2, 2009

Food Lover

First of all I am really glad that this week’s discussion topic is food. Food is one of my favorite subject to talk about. I cook most of my meal at my house, so I go to market very often. I sometimes like to eat out but not that often. Honestly, I would be very surprised if there is someone that actually thinks about environment, when one is deciding what they are going to eat at a restaurant or buy at a market. Before taking class, I never thought that my eating habit or food shopping habit could bring impact on environment.
I most of time go to Harris Teeter to shop my food. It is the closest to my house and has large selection of everything. I choose to shop at Harris Teeter which is only five minutes away from my house because of its convenience but not because of Harris Teeter that carries local grown food has less impact on environment than Safeway or Costco. When I choose which restaurant to go, I consider the location and mood or style of restaurant. Once I am in the restaurant, I food choice is solely depend on what I what to eat. Sometimes I think about calories, but I usually end up eating what I want to eat. Starbucks is located at the lobby of my apartment, so every day morning before coming to school I pick up a Grande Americano. This means that I waste a cup, a lid and a cup holder (I do not know what exactly that is called) every morning for almost eight months. I also recently consumed California Pizza Kitchen’s frozen BBQ Chicken Pizza. I usually do not eat frozen food or factory made food, but I cannot resist eating this Pizza late night. I am sure this frozen pizza is transferred from thousands and thousands mile from where I live. Next time when I eat this pizza, I should take a look at its label to find out what ingredients are used to make this pizza and where it is made. One of my eating habits that could help environment is that I do not drink soda. I will try to pay attention for few more days to see how my eating or food shopping habits impact environment.

No comments:

Post a Comment