Friday, October 23, 2009

Power of Nature

The most thrilling and magical engagement I have had with the non-human world is visiting to the Grand Canyon National Park. The visit to Gran Canyon happened in my first visit to the United States. This trip to US was my first international trip to non-Asian country. To a little girl from small country, South Korea, everything was so new and shocking. Disneyland, Universal studio, great hotels in Las Vegas and so many more eye-catching and huge scale of human-made attractions were something that I never seen it before. It was so large, luxurious and even seemed beautiful to me.
However, when I finally visited the Grand Canyon, I realized how small and meaningless the man-made attractions that I had visited were. I felt so physically and spiritually small, when I stepped closer to the edge of the cliff. My senses were so overwhelmed by the immense size of the landscape. It is not only the size that is so powerful and inspiring. It was big but not dull. Every place I laid my eyes was different. It was unbelievable delicate and detailed.
The power of nature made me feel like I could even fly. I find myself moving closer and closer to the end of the cliff to look more closely and carefully. I just wanted to be part it. Good thing there was protection bar. The tour guide told me that there is quite large number of people who actually jump off the cliff. I never felt such a feeling before. I was so thrilled and amazed, but at the same time I was scared. I was scared, because I finally realized how important nature that we, human, are keeping destroying and going against is.
I definitely think that we should concern ourselves with saving nature. Nature does not only provide physically livable world, but also provides spiritual wellbeing. We do not have right to take away future generation’s right to have great experiences that we’ve had from nature by destroying in our convenience.

No comments:

Post a Comment